The following article in the Cincinnati Enquirer dated September 15, 1990 tell the story of Tony Lay's murder.  The article does not mention Patricia Mischell but gives credit to a blood hound for finding Tony's body.   In actuality the Village of Higginsport Police department consulted with Patricia Mischell for the details of Tony's disappearance.  She told them where them that he was no longer living and where they could find his body.  Read the thank you letter from Chief of Police, Joseph A. White, Village of Higginsport Police Department. TonyLay.gif (121438 bytes)

Missing boy's body found near creek
Police charge hunting companion                                                                           Click to Enlarge
The Cincinnati Enquirer

Brown County authorities Friday charged a 17-year-old hunting companion with negligent homicide after the body of 13-year-old Tony Lay was found in a dug-out area alongside a creek.  He apparently had been shot to death.

Tony had been missing since Monday night, prompting a massive search.  The body was found at 1:08 p.m.  Friday by a Clermont County Sheriff's Department bloodhound.

the body was about 150 Feet from a vacant shed, where authorities say the shooting occurred, in a remote area off Marriott Road.  The gravel lane runs into Skiffville Road about two miles from where the boy lived in Higginsport area.

Detective Forrest Coburn of the Brown County sheriff's office said Tony was killed by a single shot to the right side of the chest.

The teen-ager charged with the shooting told police that he panicked after the shooting and hid the body, Coburn said.  The body was covered with some rocks from a creek, said Coburn.

The teen-ager was in police custody Friday night.  Coburn said no decision had been made whether to prosecute him as an adult.
Two boys found Tony's hunting gun shortly before noon Friday at the shed.  Coburn sent officials bloodhounds,  "Without the dog, we'd never have found the body," said Coburn.
Coburn said searchers had scoured the area where the body eventually was discovered.
Deputies from the Brown County Sheriff's Department stood guard at a barricade, while investigators from Brown and Clermont counties and officers from the nearby Felicity Police Department combed the area where the body was found for evidence.
Tony, a seventh-grader at Ripley Union-Lewis Junior High School, vanished after squirrel hunting with a friend.  The friend told police he tried of hunting and quit, but Tony set off on his own.
Family members were concerned that Tony had been lost in the dense woods or possibly shot himself.  They said he had moved from Hamilton to the 176-acre farm on Skiffsville Road with his mother, stepfather and sister about a month ago.
Tony's disappearance sparked a two day search by family, volunteers and police.
The Following article in the Cincinnati Enquirer dated November 27, 1991 tells the story of Amber Garrett's murder.  Patricia led police to the area.  She told them they were looking in the wrong direction of Harrison, Ohio and that they should be looking in Brite, Indiana off Jameson Road.

The next day, the body was found by an off-duty police officer after receiving a tip from a passerby motorist.  The body was found in Brite, Indiana off Jameson Road.

This story can be shown in full detail with interviews given by Channel 5 news team available on VHS

Missing girl's family holds hope
Authorities grim as third day passes
by Sheila McLaughlin
The Cincinnati Enquirer 

     Amber Garrett's family clung to hope Tuesday, but authorities feared the worst as the third day passed without any sign of the missing 10-year-old.
     While the search for the Harrison fifth-grader spread to Indiana and the FBI entered the case, an air of uneasiness hung over the city.   
     More parents than usual were picking up their children after class at Harrison Elementary School on Broadway Street despite assurances that a 31-year-old suspect in Ambers disappearance remained in jail.
     "It's just too scary.  I never thought it would happen in a small town like Harrison," said Stephanie Strother, who picked up her daughter Prisca from a half-day kindergarten class.
     Strother planned to return later Tuesday afternoon for her son, a first-grader who usually walks home with friends.
     Clerks at the Harrison Police Department said phone lines have been swamped with calls from residents offering to search for the little girl.  Clerks took names and numbers and promised to call if more help is needed.
     Harrison Elementary Principal Robert Stoll said everyone is worried.
     "The staff is in a state of shock.  The students are very concerned about Amber's safety.  They just want to see her return to school," Stoll said.
FBI asks questions
     Edwin Boldt, a spokesman for the FBI office in Cincinnati, said agents arrived in Harrison at noon Tuesday to try to find anyone who knew the suspect and might have seen him with Amber.
     Boldt said the FBI is offering its help because of the possibility Amber was taken out of state.
     Harrison police think the girl was taken from her bed early Sunday by an acquaintance of Amber's mother, Peggy Garrett.
     They said the man lured Amber's half brother, who was babysitting, away from the family's apartment with a bogus story that his mother was in trouble.
     Amber's coats, shoes and eye-glasses were left behind, leading Harrison police to think foul play was involved.
     Police arrested the man on a parole violation unrelated to the disappearance after searching his Harrison apartment.  He is jailed at the Hamilton County Justice Center.
     Less than a mile west of downtown Harrison, officers from four police departments - Harrison, Evendale, Hamilton County Park District and Dearborn County (Ind.) Sheriff's Department - trudged from noon until dark through dense thickets, fields and brushy riverbanks in West Harrison, Ind.
     A smaller group had combed similar terrain in Harrison the day before without success.
Canine help on scene
    When Tuesday morning passed with no sign of the child, officers called neighboring departments trying unsuccessfully to locate a police dog that specialized in fining bodies.
     Harrison's police canine, Rex, had no luck Tuesday picking up any scent of Amber in a 4- to 5 mile stretch in Dearborn County on the north side of the Whitewater River.
     The search is expected to resume today, depending on weather.
     "Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to have a happy ending.  After three days in this weather, there's not much chance of survival" Boldt said.
     Peggy Garrett, who has slept less than two hours since Sunday, said she is not discouraged.  She thinks her daughter is alive.
     "I'm a mom, and I think I would feel the loss if she was dead,"  Garrett said.  "I just worry about her being cold because she doesn't have a coat."
     Sheriff's spokesman Frank Weikel said police think the girl was taken from her mother's apartment after the man tricked Amber's half brother, Eric Horn, into leaving the home about 3 a.m. Sunday.
     Horn, 16, was baby-sitting Amber, an 8-year-old brother, and preschool-age sister since 10:45 p.m. Saturday when Garrett went out with a girlfriend.
     When Horn did not find Garrett, he went home to discover the front door open and Amber missing.  He did not worry, Weikel said, because he thought his mother had returned and taken Amber somewhere.
     Though Garrett returned about 5:15 a.m. Sunday - minutes after Horn left to go to his grandparents' house to sleep - she did not realize Amber was missing until 9:15 a.m. when the other two children got up.
     Neither child heard Amber leave, nor did they see anyone take her from her bed, Foust said.
     Garrett, a single parent, said she first thought Amber had gone to church with a friend.  But when she did not come home by 1 p.m. Sunday, the family began looking for her.
     About 45 friends and relatives checked abandoned buildings, wooded areas, trash bins, cemeteries and the riverbank.
     They spent Monday passing out thousands of leaflets with Amber's picture in the Harrison area.  Police officers on foot and in the air combed fields, roads and riverbanks in and around Harrison.
     Garrett said she reported her daughter missing abut 6 p.m. Sunday, four hours after a son went to the police station but found the doors locked and no one there. 
     The man lives nearby and often drove her to the grocery store, she said.  He stopped at her apartment occasionally but did not interact with the children.
     Foust said the man has admitted tricking Horn into leaving the apartment early Sunday but denied knowing anything about Amber's disappearance.
     Garrett is sure her daughter, a fifth-grader at Harrison Elementary School, did not leave on her own.  She said Amber's glasses are proof.
     "She wouldn't come out of her bedroom without her glasses on.  She can't see," an exhausted Garett said at her home during a break from Monday's search.
     She said Amber may be wearing blue jean overalls.  The overalls are gone, and the Loretta Lynn T-shirt Amber wore to bed Saturday night was on the floor in her bedroom.
     "I've checked with every friend and nobody's seen her.  I just keep thinking she's gong to come to the door, so I can ground her," Garrett said. 

The following article from The Cincinnati Enquirer dated, Sunday, February 14, 1988 is concerning Wade Tackett who had disappeared in 1986.

Wade's parents, Virgil and Mary Tackett, came to Patricia Mischell for help.  They took the information, which Patricia Provided, in and went on national television with it  This led to many reports from others visiting as well as living in Alaska who confirmed Patricia's predictions.

FBI declines new 
plea for search                   

    For the third time, the FBI has determined its agents can't search for an Ohio farm boy who vanished in Alaska.
    After studying extensive information compiled by the family of V. Wade Tackett, the bureau still says that it lacks jurisdiction to take over the case.
     If  Wade had disappeared on federal land or an Indian reservation or if there were any evidence that he had been transported in interstate or foreign commerce, then the FBI could have stepped in.
     But the details surrounding his disappearance on June 11, 1986, as well as reports of subsequent sightings, do not meet the criteria, the FBI has said.
     Wade, an accomplished outdoorsman, Boy scout and ardent Mormon, was 17 when he left his Highland County home for Alaska's panhandle.  He intended to spend three months fishing the icy Gulf waters for salmon, halibut and crab and working in a processing plant. 
     He wanted to put his earnings toward future church activities.   But he never got beyond his third week.   According to a 16-year-old co-worker, the boys spent an afternoon exploring islands near the village of pelican.  The other boy claimed that Wade took off in a 14-foot skiff, but failed to return.
     After scouring the area for about a day, the Alaska State Troopers listed
him as missing, but with the strong presumption that he'd drowned.   More than 100 people die that way in Alaska each year.
     But Wade's parents, Virgil and Mary Tackett, could not accept that explanation.  They have investigated on their own and said will continue to do so, despite the recent decision by the FBI.
     U.S. Rep. Bob McEwen, who has tried to prod various state and federal agencies into action, now is focusing his efforts on Alaska Gov.
Steve Cowper.  He has begged Cowper to keep the case open and active.
    Meanwhile, a woman who works locally with missing children sent a flier about Wade to Cincinnati Psychic Patricia Mischell.  The Enquirer published a five-part series on the boy in late December, but Mischell was out of town and says she never saw it.
     In handling his picture, she felt strongly that he's still alive, she said.  Mischell, who heads a ministry in Hartwell, offers free assistance to police, firefighters and families with missing members or even pets.
     She was consulted about Jerilyn Stanfield of Anderson Township, Vendetta Cox of Mason, and Sandy Cohen of Covington, Ky.  In each of  these missing person cases, she sensed that they were dead and provided other details.  In fact, each one had been murdered.
    Mischell says that to give the Tackett's false hope "would be the worst thing in the world."  But after several readings she continues to "sense" that Wade is living in a remote encampment within 60 miles of where he disappeared.
     According to Mischell, he had a head injury, was left for dead, but later found and nursed back to health.  she believes he suffers from amnesia, answers to a different name, has longer hair and hunts and traps with the people who have adopted him.
     Months ago, Mary Tackett said the family didn't need any more psychics.  All they wanted was a motivated cop.  Now, she says she is grateful for Mischell's information.  They plan to send new fliers, prepared by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, to trading posts and areas frequented by hunters.


The following article from The Cincinnati Enquirer tell the story of Jenny Sue Iles' murder.  Patricia was called on this case by police and the FBI wherein she told them where to look for the body and gave a description of the suspect.

When police later questioned suspects, they determined that another man (last name Funk) had committed the murder.  Patricia told police that they had the wrong man.  In 1993, Mr. Funk was found innocent of the crime and the murderer is still at large.

Search for Jenny Ends Tragically

Body is Discovered near home
The Cincinnati Enquirer

     Discovery Monday of the body of 7-year-old Jenny Sue Iles in an abandoned Covington house brought tears, anger and the threats from scores of relatives, neighbors and others.
     "If  I find out who did it, I'll blow their heads off," said Harry Iles, an uncle of Jenny's who lives on the 700 block of Bakewell Street, Covington,.  "I don't care what happens to me."
     At Jenny's rented home, Gene Parks, another uncle, said the girl's parents are "in a state of shock."
     Jenny disappeared from her Covington neighborhood April 21 while walking from her home to that of a playmate's.   Police said they have no suspects. 
     Monday, her parents, Sue and Jerry Iles, were taken to Covington police headquarters shortly after the body was found to prepare for the aftermath.
     "It's a terrible tragedy," Parks said.  "I guess it's something that was in the back of everybody's mind ... You think you're prepared."
     At John G. Garlisle school, where Jenny was a first- grader, officials prepared for a day of mourning today.
     Nine psychologists and counselors will be at the school this morning to offer support for teachers and children, said Barbara Rohrer, spokeswoman for the Covington Board of education.
     "They'll be available for whatever students and teachers need, in groups or individually,' Rohrer said.   "We don't have a game plan, per se.  They're just going to be available for support."
     Outside agencies also have called with offers of help, Rohrer said.
     The all-out search for the little blond, blue-eyed Covington girl ended Monday afternoon in an abandoned house at 1417 Chesapeake St., about seven blocks from Jenny's Banklick Street home.
     "From all indications, it is Jennifer Iles," Covington Police Chief Al Casson said.
The body was discovered at around 2:15 p.m. by an unidentified man looking for aluminum cans in the boarded-up house.  The body was that of a young girl clothed the same way as Jennifer when she left home.

I need the second part of this article.



Psychic aids search.gif (98167 bytes) Psychic aids search for Cohen     

Click on image to enlarge

Descriptions match
where body found
The Cincinnati Enquirer 

Patricia Mischell had never laid eyes on Sandy Cohen.
    When they were "introduced" at her Hartwell office last Tuesday, she studied two color snapshots of him.
     Suddenly, she knew more than some of his closest friends.
     Patricia Mischell is a psychic, and Sandy Cohen was dead, and that's what she told a group that had approached her.
     Two days later, a search party confirmed her pronouncement when it uncovered Cohen's body along River Road in Cincinnati's Lower Price Hill neighborhood.  Cohen, a Covington businessman and former Covington city Commissioner, had been killed.
     Friends and acquaintances of Cohen had sought help from Mischell on July 8, the same day Covington police declared him missing, Cohen had not been seen since sometime July 5.
  Although Covington police did not solicit the aid of psychics -- "I understand there were several involved," said Tom Henry, a Covington police captain, they were willing to listen to the tips they offered.
     "I did not talk with any of them myself,"  Henry said.
     But he was taking notes on their descriptions of the area in which the body might be found, as reported by Cohen's friends.
     "There were a lot of similarities," he said. "They all had water.  They all had gravel.  They all had overpasses,"     "I was out looking," he said.
     The psychics provided the descriptions, and Henry knew the area met most of their requirements.
     When everything else strikes out, you do what you can," he said.  "We had followed up all our leads. . . Who am I to say this isn't valid?"
     Cincinnati police Lt. William Fletcher, who has handled the Cohen case including the arrests Friday of two 22-year-old suspects refused to comment on the involvement of psychics in police work. 
      Gregory Allen Moore and Jimmy Messmer, both of Cincinnati have been charged with aggravated murder.
     Mischell, who said she met only once with five of Cohen's "friends," said that she knew he had been killed and that she knew his body was near water, gravel, railroad tracks, a small house and the number 8.
    Searchers, after two days of looking in similar spots, found his beaten and decomposed body near the Cincinnati Amtrak station which has a gravel parking lot along the Ohio River.
    "Somebody said there was an 8 on a highway sign along there," said Mischell, founder of Hope Ministry and pastor at Positive Thinking Church.
     Cincinnati police had found Cohen's missing car in the early afternoon Thursday, at least five hours before Cohen's acquaintances discovered the body in the same neighborhood, Fletcher said.
     Mischell said she did not contact police in the Cohen case but dealt only with Lou Ryan, director of the Northern Kentucky Mental Health Association in Covington, and four other people she did not know.
     Ryan refused to confirm her involvement in the case and said she had no comment on the psychic's assistance.
     Larry Whalen, Cincinnati police chief, said, "We had contact with somebody (psychic) in the course of the investigation.  We would refer to a person of that nature as an informant.
     "There have been a couple of instances in the past in which they (psychics) have volunteered their services, and we have listened without success."  but police are willing to listen.
     "There are strange things that occur in this world nobody can explain,"  Whalen said.  "To arbitrarily rule out what amounts to one more avenue of resources would be foolish."
     Henry said, "I definitely believe in psychic ability.  Some people choose to develop it; some don't.
     "I listen to whatever anybody has to say."          


Patricia Mischell gave this information to the Gayhart family soon after David Lee Gayhart disappeared.  Police authorities did not take the family seriously.  About two years later, police found the information given by Patricia was accurate.  The family verified this on various newscasts in Cincinnati.  
Slaying victim's family sues,
says case bungled

     On a cool April night two years ago, David Lee Gayhart knocked on the wrong door of a Manchester housing complex.
     Gayhart had stumbled upon a domestic dispute between Jerry Smith and his wife, Christine.
     Later that night, Gayhart met Smith again at a nearby boat ramp.  Smith's cousin, Tim Slusher, allegedly hit Gayhart in the head, stuffed him in a car and dumped him in the Ohio River.
     Sheriff's officials and Gayhart's family agree those are the facts that led to the 28-year-old's death.
     What they disagree about is why 16 months were needed to find him.
Garyhart's family is suing the Adams County Sheriff and former police chief in federal court for more that $2 million, claiming officials mishandled the investigation and caused the family emotional distress.
     "We think there are some serous problems with law enforcement in Adams County," said Richard Uhle Jr., the family's lawyer.  "Money is not the family's primary motivating factor.  One of their primary concerns is that this doesn't happen again to someone else."
Gayhart's life
Gayhart was not a local boy in Adams County.  He grew up in Mount Healthy.    Gayhart was not a local boy in Adams County.  He grew up in Mount Healthy.
     He quit Mount Healthy High School in his junior year and married Pamela Peanut Gayhart.  They divorced but reconciled just before his death.
     Gayhart was a plasterer and drywall worker and was between jobs when he disappeared.
     He liked to take his four children fishing and camping.  They had spent that April weekend at his parents' home in Manchester, 1 1/2  hours east of Cincinnati. 
     "He had a great personality," said his mother, Gladys Gayhart, 49.  "He wasn't no fighter.  He was a lover.  You couldn't ask for a better son."
     Robert and Gladys Gayhart, who have since moved from Manchester to East Enterprise, Ind., Keep pictures on the wall of their only son - 6 feet tall with medium build, brown hair, green eyes, a beard and the word "Dave" tattooed on his left hand.  His family last say him April 12, 1992.
The investigation
     Gayhart's decomposed body was found July 30, 1993, in his parents' Ford thunderbird under 35 feet of water.  Gayhart had on jeans, boots and a black leather jacket with two cans of beer in the pockets.
   Family members claim they told officials about April 15, 1992, that they thought Gayhart had been murdered and his body was at the Manchester boat ramp.  They claim officials refused to investigate.    Officials told family members:  "David Gayhart left town with a full tank of gas and you will just have to wait until he comes home," the lawsuit says.
     Not so, Adams County Sheriff Robert Johnston says.  'We had divers in there several times, and they finally found him.  Until we found the body, we really didn't ever have a crime,"
    Johnston shrugs off the lawsuit saying officials did investigate.
     The family should be satisfied to know that Slusher is in jail facing murder charges, Johnson said.  Investigators alleged that Slusher 25, of West Union, hit Gayhart over the head with a baseball bat or pipe and dumped him in the river.
     Slusher, whose trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 12, has had no comment on why he or Gayhart were at the boat ramp.  The sheriff said they all had been drinking.
     Smith, 26, said he witnessed Slusher commit the crime sometime before dawn April 12, 1992.  Smith left this apartment after 3 a.m., according to a domestic- violence report Christina Smith, 22, filed at 6 a.m.
     Gayhart's family members say too much time lapsed before anyone was charged.  Slusher, was arraigned Feb. 18.  Family members also question why Smith was never charged.
     "We never knew how bad law enforcement was," said Robert Gayhart.
     Months of waiting were traumatic, they say.  And no matter what the suit's outcome, the pain will remain, Gayhart's mother said. 
     "He was a good father and he was a very delightful son," she said. "And he's missed very much.... It's still hard not seeing him.  Unless you're a mother, you never know what it's like."

 City Beat | Enquirer Magazine | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati Post | Middletown Journal | Dayton Daily News | Kentucky Post | Palladium | Journal News | Millcreek Valley News | EastSide Weekend | Enquirer Regional Bureau